Have you set your goals for 2018? What are they, financial, personal, spiritual, maybe health or physical fitness related? I haven't set mine, I usually don't set a specific goal. I often think about things I'd like to accomplish or change in my life. But, those ideas don't usually get anywhere. That's not to say I haven't set goals in the past and accomplished anything. I have. The most successful of these goals was my return to UT to finish my Bachelors degree. Which I did in 2011. That same year Julia was born. Since then, Emma was also born. So here I am Married to my beautiful wife, we have a home, careers and two beautiful little ladies. Being a family man, has consumed most of my life. Surviving that has really been my goal now that I think about it.
I thought about setting some really unusual or ridiculous goals just to set some. For example, having a million dollars. That's why I included the above clip from the movie Office Space. Having a million dollars is probably more along the lines of a lifetime goal. Having an unusual goal would in my mind be a creative spark that might help me get going on more reasonable goals. An example of an unusual goal that I seen was someone said completing a game of Monopoly. Although tame, that would be a challenge. I had a similar thought about Monopoly, but my goal would be to own Boardwalk and Park Place at the same time.
If I had to set some objectives I'd like to accomplish, I'll make a list down below. I use the word objectives, because I feel like a goal should have a quantifiable target. These are more general, and some of them I'm not sure how to gauge.
- Pray more. In the past year my wife and I have been exploring our faith more. Prayer is an important part of that journey.
- Parent better. Raising our little girls is an important part of my life. We only get one chance and it may be the best thing I can do to contribute to the world.
- Improve the financial health of our family. This is perhaps the most complicated.
- Walk more. I'd really like to be more physically active in my life. Walking seems to be the most convenient way to make that happen.
- Produce more video content. I have been really into YouTube this past year. I would really like to start vlogging or publishing more video.
- Volunteer. I'd like to look back and say that I spent time helping others.
I would really like to look back on 2018 and say I did these things. But I know my track record. The above objectives maybe need some more refinement.